Richard Staniforth – Professional Dry Stone Waller
Richard’s work is professional, high quality and reliable.
‘We were absolutely delighted with the work carried out by Richard. He worked methodically and thoroughly and our garden was transformed. The dry stone wall looks so much better than wood fencing or concrete walls.’ (Private clients Elisabeth &Roger – 2018/19)
‘Excellent work‘ (Farmer client John 2018-19)
‘meticulous… thanks so much for the quality of work that you did. We appreciate the fact that you did more than just the dry stone element’ (Private client Lynn – 2019)
- Professional Member Dry Stone Walling Association (DSWA)
- LANTRA – DSWA Intermediate Certificate held
- Works solo and team player on large contracts
- Public liability insured
- Flexible working within a fifty mile radius from Cardiff
- Qualified Intermediate required for dry stone walling instruction
- RIBA approved introduction to Lime in Building – Ty-Mawr, Brecon
- Working with conservation standard NHL Cardiff black mortar (Blaenafon)
- Garden walling in a domestic setting – in Cardiff locations – Pontcanna/Canton – Roath – Splott/South Cardiff – Llanisien
- Cwmogwr Forest walling conservation/restoration project 1919-2019
- National Trust – Restoring Dry Stone Walls in Dyrham Park (Volunteer Ranger)
- Previous experience:
- Renewing stockproof/roadside boundary walls above Newbridge, Caerphilly
- Ex-Afghanistan soldiers refuge Mynydd Islwyn, Blackwood, South Wales
- Wall restoration, private driveway and garden in Ashover, Derbyshire
- Feature stone walling on a new housing estate in the Peak District
- Quarry boundary wall outside Burford in the Cotswolds
- Smoot – Cwmogwr Forest wall
- Teaching on Cotswold Way ASDAN CoPE project with teenagers Winchcombe School – Cotswold Conservation Board
- National Trust NT Volunteer Ranger (Dry Stone Walling)
Also see Walling Gallery
Heritage has stone in our family Stani-forth originating from Stony-fordd or Ston-ford. My first job leaving school was in very different, construction – high-end house building!
I have a wide range of experience with different stone from Cardiff, around South Wales, Derbyshire and the Cotswolds. I am always learning – each stone is unique and each new project has its own demands, whether restoration or working with new stone.
I am professionally trained to DSWA/LANTRA L2 (instructor level) and am experienced in key skills. I was mentored in Wales ‘one to one’ with Advanced Waller Ken Young and in the Brecon National Park with the local branch of the DSWA.
I gained generous professional experience with John Broadhead of ‘Oxstonecraft’ in Derbyshire and trained for L1&L2 qualification with Cotswold Conservation Board
I subsequently tutored disadvantaged school children working on the Cotswold Way. I volunteer for the National Trust as a dry stone waller. I have a growing number of skills:
- building/rebuilding with new stone
- dry-stone walling in a domestic/garden setting
- working with conservation standard Cardiff black lime mortar for garden walls
- ‘gapping’ – repairing walls, reusing available stone
- retaining walls, stock-proof walls, ‘over-handing’
- building ‘cheek-ends’ (vertical wall-ends) and smoots
- working with young people, including those academically disadvantaged
I trained with Brian Lock and John Pasztor working with a great team – members of the South Wales DSWA. In June 2018 we replaced a retaining wall above Aberfan near Merthyr Tydfil as part of a Cadw approved Longhouse restoration project. As a team we completed a stepped 6ft high retaining wall with cheekend in a day.
Working with Ken Young and SW DSWA volunteers we built a refuge for ex-Afghanistan soldiers on Mynydd Yslwyn above Blackwood.
I work p/t as a Welsh Government funded skills project manager (HEFCW/USW) and as a researcher/consultant interested in (new/transferable) skills training for adults.
I trained for LANTRA Dry Stone Walling qualifications L1 and L2 through the Cotswold Conservation Board and the South Wales DSWA. I gained LANTRA Level 2 Intermediate accreditation and am qualified to the level as instructor – DSWA Intermediate Certificate held. My training was supported by the Welsh Government.